The American Red Cross of Upstate South Carolina serves Greenville, Abbeville, Anderson, Greenwood, Laurens, McCormick, and Pickens Counties.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Janie Turmon Story

The American Red Cross is a preparedness and response organization driven by volunteers. It is an honor to be able to share stories from victims who have received services through the Upstate Red Cross. It is they, the disaster victim, that can convey better than anyone, the Red Cross story. The following testimonial is from Janie Turmon, a fire victim in Anderson, South Carolina.

"On June 6, 2006, while at work, I received a call from my daughter asking me to come home because our house was on fire and fire trucks were on the way. I grabbed my purse and headed out the door not knowing what I would find when I arrived home. I prayed all the way and it seemed to take an eternity as I was stopped by every red light along the route. The closer I got to home, the more smoke I could see. There were cars and fire trucks everywhere, blocking my driveway. I panicked and jumped out of my car and began to run toward the house. My thoughts were to save whatever I could, but was stopped short by a firefighter saying that I could not go into the house. My heart sank as I watched everything I had worked so hard for go up in flames.

I cried and cried because at that moment I was homeless along with my three children, my mother, my sister, and my brother who all lived with me. I wondered what we would do. There was no place to go. I didn't have home owner insurance. I intended to get it, I just kept putting it off. Each time I went in to pay my car insurance, I would talk with the agent about it, but I never got around to signing a policy.

As I sat outside with my family, a feeling of hopelessness began to set in. When I looked up, a van appeared. Not just any van. This one had a bright red cross on the side and four ladies who brought help to my family. They supplied water and all the assistance we needed to get back on our feet. I believe in the Lord, but until that day, I never experienced angels coming to assist me at that magnitude.

As I stated, we had nothing. The Red Cross ladies supplied funds for clothing and housing, and they provided contact information for agencies that could assist in my recovery. I truly believe that you have to be a special person to take time to help others who are in need.

I will be forever grateful to the American Red Cross. I will forever support their mission and the mission of other agencies that provide assistance to disaster victims.

I want to say thank you. Without the help of the American Red Cross, my family and I would not be where we are today."

No comments: